At Bean Culture, coffee is our religion
It’s no secret that Australia has a long-standing love affair with coffee. No longer is coffee simply a drink, it’s a culture, a religion, something akin to divinity. We worship the humble coffee bean and its hallowed grounds. At Bean Culture, we think of our roastery as a place of worship and our baristas as our leaders, authorised to perform the sacred rituals of our faith: grinding, roasting, extracting, frothing and pouring. At Bean Culture we are passionate about all things coffee and we want to share this passion with as many people as possible. The art of coffee is not something that can be picked up overnight. It takes passion, knowledge, and practice, but with enough dedication and the right guidance, you too can master the art of the perfect brew.
The benefits of barista training
• Casual work opportunities: Whether you’re a uni student or you’re looking for permanent work in the hospitality sector, barista training is becoming an expected skill for employees. If you’re looking to stand out from the crowd, why not give your resume an edge by taking a certified barista course. You’ll learn everything you need to know to brew a wicked cup of coffee and jazz it up with textured milk and other decorative techniques.
• Impress your friends: Sure, just about anyone can brew a morning cuppa, but with Australia’s growing coffee culture, your french press standard isn’t going to impress anyone. If you’re looking to step up your brewing game, take one of our barista courses and wow your friends and family with your roasting skills.
Choose from a range of courses
At Bean Culture, we offer barista training Canberra locals can trust. Based in Mitchell, Canberra, Bean Culture is the first roastery to boast an open space coffee roastery and professional barista training. From bean roasting beginner to latte art extraordinaire, our training courses are specially designed to give you the knowledge, passion and skills you need to succeed. We cater to all levels of experience and tailor each class to each group. You can learn more about the history and culture of coffee, while mastering a range of techniques, including coffee machine operation, cleaning and maintenance of equipment, milk texturing, bean roasting and grinding, espresso preparation and presentation.
So what are you waiting for? Book a course now!
Here’s some of the common questions we get asked.
If you have any other questions, get in touch
We offer 3 barista courses:
- 2HR Barista Essentials course is $140 for 2 hours.
– This course covers Grinder tuning, espresso extraction, coffee recipes, milk texturing and basic latte art.
- 3HR Barista Extended course is $210 for 3 hours.
– This course covers everything in the Barista Essentials course PLUS, advanced grinder adjustment including grind troubleshooting.
- 4HR Barista Intermediate course is $289 for 4 hours.
– This course covers everything in the Barista Extended course PLUS, extended latte art training, machine programming and end of shift shut down procedures
Our courses are a One-On-One training environment so you will have the undivided attention of your training – other organisation will share their time with up to 4 other course participants. The more time you spend with your training, the longer you have to learn industry techniques that you refine when you gain employment.
If you would like unassisted (no trainer) use of equipment to continue practicing your latte art at a discounted rate, we offer booking slots between Thursday & Friday. This service is BYO (bring your own) milk hire rate, we will provide you with coffee beans in the hire cost @ $40 p/hr.
Equipment Hire for additional practice (No trainer supplied)
If you would like unassisted (no trainer) use of equipment to continue practicing your latte art at a discounted rate, we offer booking slots between Thursday & Friday.
This service is BYO (bring your own) milk hire rate, we will provide you with coffee beans in the hire cost @ $40 p/hr.
What is covered in the espresso extraction training?
Unlike other local training organisations, we don’t pre-adjust the coffee grinder before you arrive – we will do this with you and teach you how to adjust the grinder so 21g of coffee pours in 25sec, we will explain the importance of consistently weighed shots of coffee, what happens when you over / under pack the basket and also change the room environment to mimic the effects of temperature and humidity. These changes will affect your espresso extraction and we will teach you how to recognise the change and fix it. This is a major part of being a barista because beyond the eye catching latte art, you need to be able to produce a coffee that tastes great!
Latte Art Component
We will cover milk texturing and stretching and show you various techniques to achieve this, we will then begin training on pouring a heart, then a tulip.
How to find us?
We are located at Unit 5, 47-49 Vicars Street, Mitchell.
Our building stands out as its the only ‘black’ building on the street… There is also the oven door bakery 5 doors down – they have outdoor seating so they are easy to spot. If you get lost, just give us a call on 6223 2200.
Do I need to bring anything?
No, just yourself! We will provide you with fresh, locally roasted coffee and as much milk as you need.
Please be mindful that we will probably make a bit of a mess so refrain from wearing whites as you will most likely overflow a few cups on your shoes!